1. Keep your fashion jewelry dry and clean. Remove before washing hands, showering or exercising.
2. Thoroughly wipe each piece of jewelry with a soft, clean cloth as soon as you remove it. The goal is to remove any oil, salt or acid contaminants and to dry the piece.
3. Minor tarnish can be buffed off with a jewelry polishing cloth, but cleaning heavy tarnish may also remove some gold or silver plate from the piece, so go easy. Store clean and dry in a soft cloth containers to avoid scratching the items; store individual pieces separately.
4. Wear your costume jewelry occasionally. Fashion jewelry is usually not meant to be worn every day. Never go to sleep with fashion jewelry on.
5. Do not coat your costume jewelry except …
Some people like to coat fashion jewelry with different products, but this is actually not recommended. Coating may change the appearance and color of your jewelry and tarnish its shine. In addition, it will eventually come off, causing your costume jewelry gold or silver plating chipping. Although in theory, wiping and cleaning fashion jewelry is sufficient to limit the green traces on the skin, you can still use clear nail polish (like top coat) on the inside of your fashion rings to protect them.